Sunday, September 30, 2007

Once again- Anand is World Champion

In a country, where I believe that Cricket has been over hyped, there is a consistent performer in an other sport - that's our Chess Master Mr. Vishwanathan Anand. He is the world champion again in this year 2007. He had won the world cup in 2002 previously(I hope the year is right!).

At this time, where Cricket has taken over Indian fans due to Twenty20 world cup, I dont know anybody who is following chess - except people who play chess! I was watching news channel and it was interesting to look at Anand's comments on his world cup win and his return journey to India..

Here I try to quote him.. although not exact... "I'm aware of the way the Indian cricketers were welcomed after the world cup win. It would be interesting to see the kind of welcome I receive". These clearly says the remaining story - the biased Indian sport admirers.

I'm curious to know how Anand will be received in India. Which government will reward him and with what? I think the scene in India has been completely setup for a makeover. Here is the chronological order..
- Indian hockey team winning the Asia cup - No recognition from the people of India
- Indian Cricket team winning Twenty20 world cup - Overwhelming response from Indians
- Lots of discussions on Cricket being over-hyped
- Anand becoming the World Chess Champion AGAIN!
- Wait and watch - See how the people of India respond to Anand?

No comments: